Although there is evidence of a bowling green in Tring Park Estate as early as 1739, Tring Bowls Club was founded in 1908 as Tring Games Bowling Club, part of the Trust House Group's sports programme at the High Street's Rose and Crown Hotel.
Remarkably for this part of England, before conversion to a flat green it was initially constructed as a crown green and believed to be the only one of its kind as far south as Tring. During the 1920s the club affiliated to the English Bowls, Hertfordshire, and Watford and District Bowls Associations. The first President of the club was the first Lord Rothschild (1840-1915) owner of the Tring Park estate and Lord of the Manor of Tring.
Here the club stayed until 1974 when, in addition to a ladies section being formed, the Club moved to its present location. The move was prompted by doubts about the reluctance of Trust Houses Ltd to confirm renewal of the Club's lease, coupled with a generous offer from trustees of the Pendley Manor Estate* who had made available 28 acres for local sporting purposes.
The first turf of the new green was cut at a ceremony on 30 March 1973 by Mrs Adams, wife of the Chairman of the Pendley Sports Centre Trustees and by the end of the year the green had been laid. The inaugural match on the new six-rink green took place on 25 June 1975.
By 1978 the membership had grown to 72 men and 22 ladies and because the sharing of pavilion and bar facilities with the rugby club was presenting problems it was decided to build a new pavilion financed by a loan appeal to members. During the period 1974 to 1997 the pavilion was built in four stages, much of it with members' expertise and practical help, resulting in the excellent multi-facility building we have today.
*Pendley Manor was the family home of Dorian Williams, one of the trustees and well known as the voice of show jumping on BBC for many years.